Sunday, 9 September 2012

Adjective Clause, Adverb Clause, Noun Clause




What is Clause?
A clause is a group of words having subject and predicate like a sentence but it is not a sentence; it is a part of a sentence
Example of Clause
*      I haven’t read what you wrote on the paper.
How many kinds clauses are?
*      Adjective Clause
*      Adverb Clause
*      Noun Clause
Adjective Clause
*      The clause that modifies a noun is called adjective clause.
*      The boy who has become champion in the essay competition will be awarded by the chairman.
*      I know the man who has designed the sculpture.
*      God helps those who help themselves.
Adjective clause introducer
*      Who
*      Which
*      That
*      When
*      Where
*      Whom
*      Whose
Adjective clause introducer as possessives
*      I have a friend whose father is an architect.
*      The boy whose brother is a football player always speak high of our team.
*      The student whose fourth subject was biology can apply for the scholarship.
*      The girl whose score was A+ was selected for higher study.

Adjective clause introducer as object
*      I have lost the pen that I bought last week.
When Adjective Clause introducer
is object, it is omitted.
*      The man I talked to was a singer.
*      The book I am reading is very interesting.
*      Have you found the bag you were searching?
*      Where is the book I gave you yesterday?
*      Do you know the answer of the question I asked you?
Adverb Clause
*      The clause that modifies a verb is called Adverb Clause.
*      Adverb clause tells about how, when, where the action of verb takes place.
Kinds of Adverb Clause
*      Adverb Clause of time
*      Adverb Clause of place
*      Adverb clause of reason
*      Adverb clause of result
*      Adverb clause of purpose
*      Adverb Clause of condition
*      Adverb Clause of Concession


Adverb Clause of time
*      Adverb Clause of time introducer:
*      When, Till, Until, Before, After, As soon as, no sooner than etc.
*      When he came, I was reading a book.
*      Wait till I come.
*      The man joined the office after he had completed M.A.
*      He had reminded him many times before he punished him
Adverb Clause of place
*      I am going where he lives.
Adverb clause of reason
*      Adverb Clause of reason introducer:
*      As, Since, For
Adverb clause of result
*      Adverb Clause of result  introducer:
*      So -------- that

*      I am so weak that I can not walk.
*      He is so rich that he can buy a flat any time.
*      We are so tired that we need rest.
Adverb clause of purpose
*      Adverb Clause of result  introducer:
*      So that

*      I am working hard so that I can prosper in life.
*      He is practicing more and more so that he wins the game.
*      Speak louder so that we can listen.
Adverb Clause of condition
*      Here adverb clause set a condition for the verb of the main clause to happen.
Adverb clause of condition introducer:
If
Unless
Provided/ provided that

Adverb clause of condition
Step 1: Probable condition
Here adverb clause sets condition on the basis of probability

Example of adverb clause of condition: Step 1, probable condition
Structure: If + Present simple+ future
*      If you rise early in the morning, you will be healthy, wealthy and wise.
*      If you behave well, everybody will like you.
*      Unless you control your bad habit, you will fall in problem.
Adverb clause: Step- 2
Improbable condition ( Present)
Adverb clause of condition is based
             on improbable condition.
Adverb clause: Step- 2
*      Structure: If + Past simple+ future in the past
*      Example:
*      If I went there, I could meet my friend.

*      If you bought the latest model, you would
enjoy more facilities.

*      If we asked him, he would give us more
information.

*      If I found the kea, I could enter the room.

Adverb clause: Step- 3
(Improbable past)
*      Structure: If + Past perfect + would have/ could have/ might have

*      Example:

*      If you had monitored his activities, he would have performed better.

*      If I had not installed the latest version, I would not have got so many facilities.

*      If it had rained yesterday, we could not have played the game.

*      If he had known my address, he would have written letter to me.


Although clause
*      Example:
*      Although you control your diet, you cannot reduce your weight.
*      The boys are not doing well although they have been given all facilities.
*      Though they helped him in the time of crisis, he does not admit it.
Noun clause
*      Noun clause serves as subject, object, complement, object of the preposition of the sentence.
Noun clause introducer
*      What
*      Who
*      When
*      Where
*      When
*      How
*      If
*      That

Noun clause as subject
*      What he did was to help the poor person.
*      How he survived seven days without food and water surprised all.
*      When he will come is not certain.
*      Who has broken the chair is known to me.

Noun clause as object
*      I know that he is a good singer.
*      They thought that he would come to the meeting in time.
*      He saw where they kept the bag.
*      I understand what he says.
*      We have written what we were told.

1 comment:

nancy john said...

Nice post about Adjective Clause for English. it is very important in toefl